Saturday, April 13, 2013

Thrifty Bitch

Thats me!

I, like many people I know, am trying to save money.  I have been asked lately whether it's worth it, money wise these days, to sew my own clothes.  I answered the lovely lady who asked that for me it is.   The main reason I sew is because I love to make things.  It's that simple.  Secondary to that is I can make things that fit me properly, and I can do it in a way that saves me money.

I am a serial op shopper.  I buy clothes, shoes, bags, scarves, the lot.  I also buy fabric, or large garments with enough fabric to use for other garments.  This t shirt cost about 70 cents in materials.  The fabric is half a metre of interlock that set me back a whopping 50 cents, plus about 20 cents worth of thread and a bit of my time that would have otherwise been spent sitting on the couch watching TV.



This one really cost me nothing.  The fabric was a maxi dress that I used to wear quite a bit, but have shrunk out of.  There's plenty of fabric in a big jersey maxi dress for a t shirt.  


 There's plenty of fabric in a big jersey maxi dress for a t shirt.  Both t shirts were made using the patterns from the Meg McElwee's Craftsy course Sewing With Knits. (It's on sale at the moment for too!)


My final thrifty project this week was a mens shirt refashion.  I bought the shirt a few weeks ago because the blue with white pinstripe was lovely, and I have had an idea kicking around in my head for it.

I love it when an idea translates to reality!  This casual top turned out exactly how I had pictured it in my head.  


There was enough fabric in the sleeves to make bias tape for the edging and straps.  I used the continuous method which was a bit of a brain stretch but now that I've done it makes perfect sense.


 Please ignore those spots, it started raining just as I was taking pics.

So there you go.  A weeks worth of thrifty sewing.  I may or may not be procrastinating about starting my blazer because I've never done one before.  I know I'll be fine once I get started but that starting mojo is elusive.


3 comments:

  1. Very impressed with your refashioning here and previously, just found you from MMM group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so impressive - I really admire someone who can look and see the "potential" in existing garments.

    and you're right, long term re-fashioning or making your own from scratch really does work out better. Sure, I can buy a tee from a big cheap chain store for $3. It will last probably 5 washes (if that!), won't fit properly, and end up as waste.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! I just found my match in thrift store shopping! :) i have so much awesome fabric that i got at op shops that i actually am trying to avoid going there until i turn more of them into garments. No only fabric, but trims etc. Even my sewing machine came from there. I have to stop going because once there i cant resist. I get a kick out of repurposing and what better place to find material. Its not only for the price, although that is one if the reasons, its also for the challenge of whiping out something new from something old. I love that.
    And i love your blog too, came here from burdastyle

    ReplyDelete